Last season aside, our strategy has worked out pretty well for us in the past so maybe it will for you too.
A lots of fantasy sites will overload you with information: sleepers, busts, projected stats, cheatsheets, Top 300 lists, etc, etc, etc. We guess with charges of upwards of $40 they need to make you think your getting you money worth.
Our plan assumes two things: 1) you have a life and 2) you don't want to spend a fortune to get prepared.
So without further ado here's our 4-Step Plan for success in your pool on the cheap.
1. Get the best sleeper / breakout list you can
- If you're paying for anything this is where you should do it ... we recommend Dobber Hockey or Fantasy Hockey Scouts (see our Fantasy Site Reviews for more info).
- Sites that give out their draft kits in pdf form (like Dobber and FHS) make it very easy to split the cost amongst a few friends (preferably not in your league).
- If you can't find an owner to split the cost ... trade draft kits with somebody else. Two for the price of one!
- Instead of buying a fantasy magazine why not buy a digital copy and split the cost?
- You want a list that the majority of owners in your league will follow.
- This doesn't have to be a perfect list but should be close to how you think your draft will go.
- If any player seems too high or low ... adjust it. Make it your own.
3. Pick your Targets
- Make your first three picks count; don't take risks early.
- Make sure one of your first two or three picks is a goalie; you need a top netminder so make sure you get one.
- Get as many sleepers as possible; try to draft them one round before you think they will go
- Not all of your sleepers will pan out so you'll need somebody to fill in for Todd Bertuzzi when he stinks it up again.
- This year's Mark Streit is sitting on your waiver wire somewhere ... find him.
- Don't be afraid to hit the wire early in the season; you'll get more value out of your free agents and there will be more surprises early on.
Otherwise you'll end up looking like this guy:
The choice is yours.